People I love and admire.
Wow, I've definitely had an exciting couple days. I want to apologize to any of you who were reading the craziness. I'm not about negativity and name calling, and I don't want this blog to be about any of that sort of thing. I want this to be a positive and uplifting page.
I'm just writing this post becuase I was accused of having nasty views. People are entitled to their own opinions, but I want to make it known about how I feel about being accused of being racist. My mom is white and my dad is black. When they started dating, it was during the 60's. We all know what racial turmoil this country was in. My parents met and fell in love during this time, and before they could even get married, my mom had to have my grandma sign a permission slip for them to get married b/c my dad is black. For a long time my grandma wouldn't do it b/c she didn't agree with it. She could have even had my mom comitted to a mental hospital for being in love with my dad. Finally, my grandma signed the permission slip and my parents could get married. They've now been married for 41 years. My husband was raised in California, and he was outnumbered by people of other races. He was telling me about how he got picked on for being the white kid. In my own life I've only ever come up against racism once. It's something I'd rather not talk about b/c of how it happened and who it came from. The person who was rude to my family really shouldn't have been, especially b/c of the position he held. You know what I've learned though......You can't go around hating on everybody. What a bitter and sad way to live your life. Growing up my mama and daddy always taught me to never look at the color of someone's skin. I firmly stick by that, and I will teach that to my kids. It was hard hearing about how my parents going through such turmoil. I would never ever in my life treat anybody else that way. When I look at people I see people. That's just how I was raised. So yeah, it does hurt my hear when people accuse me of being something that I'm not, especially when they don't even know me at all. I try not to let things get to me, but it does hurt my feelings b/c I know I would do anything for anybody.
I should get to bed. I feel a lot better now that I have my side of things out. I hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend. I send my love to you all :) Nighty-night

4 comments:
"You can't go around hating on everybody. What a bitter and sad way to live your life." -- that's so true. I look at people like that and it makes me cringe. Think of how much precious time and energy is wasted our living like that.
Thanks for posting your thoughts on this - I'm sorry people accuse you of being something you're not but the only person you are responsible for is yourself - others will always think what they want. You seem to have a good grip on things, and kudos to you for that.
Cara- you are the sweetest person I know! I'm still very sorry you had to go through that on your blog! It makes me and Brian very upset. The important thing is you know the truth, and the people who love and care for you know the truth. You have other more important things in your life to focus on....and that's all that matters.
Cara...I've missed you so much!! thanks for letting me know where I can find you now!! I am so sorry that this whole thing blew up like this...what a sad world some people live in. I am so amazed at how you handled yourself and even more proud of the fact that you who you are and not ashamed of that!! You are allowed to have opinions too especially since you allow others to be so vocal about theirs. That was such a wonderful post Cara!! Many hugs!! Philippians 4:8,9
I'm so sorry to hear about the nastiness that was happening on your other blog! It's just amazing the way some people will attack someone they do not even know and jump to so many conclusions... You have a wonderful outlook on life, and sad as it may be, what happened to your parents is a part of what gave you that. You are a lucky person to think/feel the way you do. I also only see people when I look at people, not the color of their skin, and it makes me sad that so many others are missing out on great frienships thanks to their ignorance... It's good to know there are others out there who think the along the same lines as me and are open-minded.
Stay strong!
~Paula
Post a Comment