Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The long and boring blood test...

So, today I had my 3 hour glucose test, and let me tell you what....it was no walk in the park. I went in not worried about the drink b/c I loved what I had the first time. So, I go in and get my first blood draw and monitor check to make sure my levels aren't high to begin with so I can start the test. My level was 85 which was great, so she brought me my drink.... It was orange this time, and it sucked! I didn't look much bigger than my last drink, but it was 100 grams of sugar, so it was defnitely a lot thicker. It was like thick, orange syrup. So, I downed it really quick to just get it out of the way. That bad boy had so much sugar in it, I could feel my insides quivering for the first hour. It was a terrible feeling. After that everything went well. Jeff was with me at the hospital the whole time, so time went by pretty fast. It was fun people watching. My last blood draw left a lot to be desired though. A different lady called me back and she missed my vein....instead of pulling the needle out and trying again...she kept moving the needle around in my arm trying to hit the vein. Finally she gave up and called the other lady I had worked with to come rescue her. I think I was the one needing rescued b/c I was the one in pain. Finally she got it and I was ready to go. I was so thankful it was over and I lived through it. I then had shooting pains up and down my arm for close to an hour. I'm glad it's all over. I left at noon and they told me that the results would take 4 hours. I honestly don't know if they were going to call or my Dr's office, but I foudn out to my dismay that I'm sitting here waiting for my results and the modem to our phone and internet is out. So, I called our womderful cable company and the lady got it going for me. After I hung up with her the modem was off and on and off and on and off and on....I hope I didn't miss them calling me. I guess if they don't call this evening then I'll just hear from someone tomorrow. I'm praying for great results. I'll update as soon as I know what's up!

4 comments:

Allon 'n Amber said...

Hope everything turns out good Cara!! I hate when they miss the vein...that just sucks!! I'll be praying for good results!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh yes needles and pregnancy, one thing I DON'T miss!! I'm not a fan of giving my blood, it's mine after all and it hurts giving it. I'm sure everything will be fine. I'll be waiting to hear from you!

RD Momma said...

Oohh fun! Yea right!!! I did mine on Friday. I hadn't eaten since 6:30am and my appt was 10:15. That wouldn't be a problem except that by 10:30 I HAVE to have a snack or just lunch in general or I get the shakes. That was the ONLY good part about the drink, it gave my body the sugar it needed. Hope you hear something today. I havent' heard from my doctor, which I'm assuming means GOOD NEWS.

Anonymous said...

crossing my fingers for ya Cara!